Guiding Principles of the Council
The Council adopted a number of principles to guide its mode of operations and interventions. In this regard, it seeks to:
- Identify and concentrate on strategic issues, particularly those of an economic nature;
- Ensure that its programme of work does not duplicate the work of other state agencies, but that it facilitates cooperation and coordination between stakeholders in different sectors, enhances collaboration and synergy, and adds value in the interests of promoting sustainable development;
- Ensure buy-in from key line ministries and agencies and not duplicate existing line ministry and agency functions but add value to the policy environment and execution of programmes relating to sustainable development;
- Influence strategic decisions and accelerate decisions critical to sustainable development;
- Engage pro-actively with other high-level Advisory Councils such as the Presidential Economic Advisory Council;
- Maintain an open-door policy with respect to communications with senior decision-makers, organs of state, the private sector, non-governmental organisations, community-based organisations, academia, the media and the general public.