2020/21 Annual Report of the Sustainable Development Advisory Council presented in the National Assembly
The Minister of Environment, Forestry and Tourism, Hon. Pohamba Shifeta, tabled the Annual Report of the Sustainable Development Advisory Council for the 2020/21 financial year in the National Assembly on 6thOctober 2021.
The tabling of the 2020/21 Annual Report to the National Assembly is in fulfilment of the requirement of Section 15 (4) of the Environmental Management Act of 2007 (Act No. 7 of 2007).
The annual report provides information on the main activities carried out during the period under review which included:
- Guidance on the amendment of the Environmental Management Act of 2007 and revision of its regulations.
- Identification of priority issues to be integrated and addressed through the sixth National Development Plan
- Preparations for the 3rd edition of the Sustainable Development Awards under the theme “Accelerating the green economy transformation as we recover from COVID-19”
- Development of Namibia’s Second Integrated State of the Environment Report (ISOER)
The annual report also sets out the priority focus areas for the Sustainable Development Advisory Council going forward which include:
- Formulation of a five-year Strategic Plan to guide the strategic operations of the Council
- Growing the Sustainable Development Awards and hosting future editions
- Finalization and launch of Namibia’s Second Integrated State of Environment Report
- Promulgation of the amendments to the Environmental Management Act of 2007
- Hosting information sessions and public discussions on topical issues relating to sustainable development
- Formulation of position papers to feed into NDP6 on the identified issues
- Implementation of the Council’s Communication Strategy and Resource Mobilization Strategy
- Support to the MEFT in implementing the Cabinet Directive regarding the feasibility of phasing out plastic bags.
Hon. Shifeta also invited the Parliamentarians and Parliamentary Standing Committees to interact with the Council and to bring issues of concern to its attention as well as the general public via the interactive platform on its website.
The Annual Report is available for your further information at https://sdacnamibia.org/sites/default/files/SDAC%20Annual%20Report%20202...